Shopfitting with history
The world-famous Hohensalzburg Fortress sits high above the rooftops of Salzburg. Back in the 16th century, it was home to guns, armour and weapons; now a museum describes the impressive history of bygone eras.
The furniture had to be brought to the construction site by helicopter.
The »Zeughaus” (armoury) was built in 1559 and owes its’ name to the German word »Zeug« meaning trinkets or stuff that used to be stored within: guns, armour and weapons. A new museum opened following an extensive renovation of the vault. Eight stations with interactive models provide visitors with information about various topics, such as fortress-building and the history of weapons. »The furniture matches the architectural tone of the vaulted hall and matches the existing décor, both in terms of colour and shape«, explains architect Clemens Standl, from EIDOS, who was responsible for the exhibition architecture. The same applies to the shelves on the walls and the islands in the adjacent shop, whose design was created by the team from MOA Architekten. Furniture maker Modl was responsible for the interior fittings for the entire exhibition and shop.
The greatest challenge probably lay in delivering the finished furniture. Bernhard Karrer, project manager at Modl, explains: »It was the first time in our company history that we had to transport the furniture to the site by helicopter«. This peculiarity had to be taken into account during the design phase and represented a real challenge due to the organic shape and size of the elements. The shop furniture is clad with Corian Glacier White and Deep Nocturne. Specialist supplier Hasenkopf adapted the Corian shell to the base cabinets provided by Modl. Christian Santer, managing director at Modl, praised the »seamless co-operation with Hasenkopf in all areas. All of the employees are highly motivated, know what they are doing and focus on solutions«.
Photos: © Stefan Zauner Photography